2009 Tour de Romandie PrologueBy Will • Apr 29th, 2009 • Category: Cycling
I had a fantastic evening yesterday watching the Tour de Romandie Prologue in Lausanne.
It’s amazing how much access is given to fans at events like these. One can walk right up to all the team buses and see (or chat with) the athletes. At left is Swiss and World Champion Fabian Cancellara trying out his new time trial bike.
Also, with a bit of luck, it’s possible to ride the closed off course.
While riding around, I was passed by someone that looked suspiciously like Cadel Evans. So I decided to follow him. The security didn’t blink as we both entered the course. I frantically tried to figure out if my camera had a video setting – and I kept following.
Note, in the video , we spoke in French as I don’t speak Australian.
- The publicité caravan handed out free wine as I cycled past(!!)
- Free fondue, hats, musettes, pens, keychains, etc.
- I got to ride a unicycle (see photos)
- It didn’t rain
- I found a great viewing spot at the sharp turn 50 metres from the finish
- Did I mention the free wine?
Click on photos below for info: