Colle delle Finestre will be the feature climb in Saturday’s Giro stage 20. It’s a gigantic climb that I’ve dreamed of cycling. Before watching it on TV, I thought I’d explore while the roads were deserted (in fact closed to cars).
A quick thanks to all the people who have asked if all was well due to the lack of posts recently. I’ve been nursing a sore knee.
Anyway, here’s a brief video of the climb:
A few random thoughts:
- The steepest ramps seemed to be in the first two kilometres. The rest of the climb is very steadily steep.
- The first 10 kms are beautifully paved – and narrow – with loads of hairpins
- The 8 unpaved kilometres were clearly just smoothed over for the Giro.
- At the top are two monuments to Danilo Di Luca that was first over Finestre in 2005, it’s only other Giro appearance
- ABOVE, the Colle is an interesting “garden” with monuments celebrating the most famous cycling climbs (Stelvio, Mortirolo, Gavia, Ventoux, Tourmalet, Izoard, Galibier, and Alpe d’Huez)